Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Eternity

My Grandma is sick. My best friend is in pre-labor. It's the holidays. I want to go home.

It is moments like these that I remind myself, it's not about the now, its about the forever. If all there was to life was compacted into the 75 ish years we receive on earth, goodness knows I wouldn't be spending it here! I wouldn't be itching to live out my life in a third world country with few creature comforts.

If it weren't for eternity, I would have continued my comfortable life in my comfortable city with my comfortable family and friends. I would watch my niece grow up. I would enjoy the fellowship of all my mommy friends as our kids grow up, side by side. I would happily listen to the banter between my husband and his closest friend. I would be content knowing that my children had the love and support of extended family, just minutes away.

If it weren't for eternity, I wouldn't be living by faith, dependent on God to pay the rent. I would put down roots. I would be successful and financially secure.

But the truth is, JESUS is REAL. This life is just a small bleep on the radar of eternity. I will live forever. My Grandma will live forever. I will have eternity to be with the ones I love. I will have eternity to be comfortable and secure.

What I do not have eternity to do is tell others about Jesus, the WAY to eternal life. That is one thing that can only be done here on earth.

So, on days like today, when all I really want to do is be with my Grandma, be with my friend as she welcomes her new son into the world, and celebrate Christmas at my Mom's house like I have done every year since I was born, I think about....


...and I remember. Their Eternity is worth my discomfort. Their Soul is worth so much more than my tiny sacrifice here on earth.


I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives. Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me.
John 12:24-26

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! I continued on with my plans to be in Ghana this past January, even though my mom was undergoing chemotherapy for her second bout with breast cancer...not because it was an easy or popular decision, but because I had no doubt that God ordained that trip at that time! That was the trip that we rescued 8 children from slavery and brought them home to The Father's House. I wouldn't have missed it for anything on this earth!

    ReplyDelete